Dyker Heigjts is residential neighborhood in the southwest corner of the Borough of Brooklyn in New York City, USA. It is sandwiched among Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, and Gravesend Bay. According to the Post Office, Dyker Heights is bounded to the west by Interstate 278, to the north by Bay Ridge Avenue, to the east by Fourteenth Avenue, and to the south by Fort Hamilton. The Dyker Beach Golf Course extends to the Belt Parkway.
Dyker Heights originated as a speculative luxary housing development in October 1895 when Walter Loveridge Johnson developed a portion of woodland into a suburban community. During the height of his development, the boundaries were primarily between Tenth Avenue and Thirteenth Avenue and from 79th Street to 86th Street. The finest homes of the development were situated along the top of the 110-foot (34 m) hill, at above Eleventh Avenue and 82nd Street.
In Decemeber 1899, the Brooklyn Eagle wrote a very detailed description of the homes in Dyker Heights:
Dyker Heights is also accessible by car via the Belt Parkway, the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, and the Gowanus Expressway (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway).